You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Pro 12.9" 2017 Fast Charging with 65W Lighting to USB-C

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if using a 65W fast charger (brand: RAVPower) will harm the battery life of my 2nd Gen Ipad Pro 12.9"?

I've read this model supports fast charging and wanted to get maximum results with the 65W as opposed to 30W charger.

Many thanks.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 8:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 9:18 AM

Your iPad fully regulates battery charging. When using USB-PD, the iPad can charge at its maximum supported rate - 18W (i.e, 1.5A @12V). When using a standard USB Power Adapter, charging is limited to 12W (2.4A @5V). Most iPads require a minimum rating of 10W to successfully charge.

The Power rating of the Power Adapter is the maximum available power output - not the actual power drawn by the connected “load”.

The iPad will not be harmed by fast charging. The iPad can, subject to the Power Adapter, charge at its maximum rate up to about 80% of maximum - after which the charging rate is reduced to protect the battery.

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2020 9:18 AM in response to nmdesign

Your iPad fully regulates battery charging. When using USB-PD, the iPad can charge at its maximum supported rate - 18W (i.e, 1.5A @12V). When using a standard USB Power Adapter, charging is limited to 12W (2.4A @5V). Most iPads require a minimum rating of 10W to successfully charge.

The Power rating of the Power Adapter is the maximum available power output - not the actual power drawn by the connected “load”.

The iPad will not be harmed by fast charging. The iPad can, subject to the Power Adapter, charge at its maximum rate up to about 80% of maximum - after which the charging rate is reduced to protect the battery.

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

Dec 6, 2020 8:41 AM in response to nmdesign

Your iPad supports USB-PD (Power Delivery) fast charging - but does not support the competing QC (Quick Charge) standard.

Not all “fast chargers” use the USB-PD standard. If your RAVPower charger supports USB-PD, you should have no difficulties. Your iPad can charge at a maximum 18W rate - but higher wattage chargers can be safely used where they are compatible.

More information about fast charging Apple devices can be found here:

Fast charge your iPhone – Apple Support

Dec 6, 2020 9:08 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for you reply. It does have USB-PD which is the port I have been using.

If the maximum charge rate is 18W, does that mean even with the 65W it will continue to charge at a rate of 18w? - making the 65W charger slightly redundant I guess!

My main concern is if this would damage and decrease battery life over time as opposed to using the standard 12 or 18W chargers?

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject...

Ipad Pro 12.9" 2017 Fast Charging with 65W Lighting to USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.