You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My WiFi on my iPhone says weak security

My WiFi on my phone says weak security, even after I changed password, how do I solve this??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 12:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 12:16 PM

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem in your router settings.

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Clem2828

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem in your router settings.

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security.

Dec 6, 2020 12:07 PM in response to Clem2828

It isn't telling you that you had a weak password, it is telling you your security setting on your router is not secure. You need to log into your router and change it there, making sure to change both bands and any extenders. After you do that restart your router and on your iPhone forget the network and connect to it again.

My WiFi on my iPhone says weak security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.