Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this; Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone

Anyone have a better explanation than:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208831

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 8:12 PM

I'm not an expert by any stretch of imagination, but I've always understood this as iOS has undergone a lot more changes and upgrades since Catalina was released, and so when you connect an iOS 14 device, Finder needs to install some extra data files to "talk to" newer iOS 14 devices.

That's my best guess anyway. Someone smarter than me can chime in with more details.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 8:12 PM in response to R.J. Wilson

I'm not an expert by any stretch of imagination, but I've always understood this as iOS has undergone a lot more changes and upgrades since Catalina was released, and so when you connect an iOS 14 device, Finder needs to install some extra data files to "talk to" newer iOS 14 devices.

That's my best guess anyway. Someone smarter than me can chime in with more details.

What is this; Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.