Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emergency bypass is not available after ios14.2 update

The option to add emergency bypass in contacts is gone. The contacts I had used this feature for before the update does still shows “bypass” in the contact card but is no longer working the way it should/ calls and texts are not coming through when I have the phone on silent.

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 1:11 PM

Hi majw20,

We understand that you're running into some trouble with the Emergency Bypass option in contact cards, and we're here to help. To clarify, you should still see the option for Emergency Bypass if you open the contact card, and then tap Edit > Ringtone (or Text Tone) > Emergency Bypass. Is this not happening? Also, are you currently using custom tones for the contacts experiencing the problem? The reason we ask is that any tones our sounds being used must be downloaded to the iPhone, otherwise they may not work, as the iPhone isn't able to stream audio for notifications. We have more information in Change message notifications on iPhone

If this behavior is only happening with a certain set of contacts, please let us know those details as well.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon. Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 1:11 PM in response to majw20

Hi majw20,

We understand that you're running into some trouble with the Emergency Bypass option in contact cards, and we're here to help. To clarify, you should still see the option for Emergency Bypass if you open the contact card, and then tap Edit > Ringtone (or Text Tone) > Emergency Bypass. Is this not happening? Also, are you currently using custom tones for the contacts experiencing the problem? The reason we ask is that any tones our sounds being used must be downloaded to the iPhone, otherwise they may not work, as the iPhone isn't able to stream audio for notifications. We have more information in Change message notifications on iPhone

If this behavior is only happening with a certain set of contacts, please let us know those details as well.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon. Take care!

Dec 13, 2020 4:26 AM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric~F,

I was not able to see before asking for help that the bypass button was there but had to scroll down to see at the top of the page. I remember the button being in a different place or not having to scroll down. Before asking for your help thought I was at the top of the page when taken to the edit page. It was there all along just different placement. As for the custom ringtones, I am using the apple options and downloaded ones and they are both working with the bypass. Thanks for your helpful response.

Emergency bypass is not available after ios14.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.