You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning earphones to USB-C

So, I’ve got a new 2020 iPad Pro, and I can’t use my lightning earphones into the USB-C port. I’ve searched for an adapter, but I can only find ones for 3.5mm to lightning, but not for lightning to USB-C. Anybody know what I need to do?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 7:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 9:17 AM

You’ll not be able to use Earbuds that use a Lightning connector with a USB-C equipped iPad.

Whilst some MFI-approved adapters exist that allow connection of a USB/USB-C cable or device to an iPad with a Lightning port (which includes an “active” interface converter), the reverse arrangement is not available. The adapter is not simply a wiring or physical plug conversion - but instead includes active electronics.

You would be best advised to use commonly available EarPods with a 3.5mm audio plug, with a USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MU7E2ZM/A

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2020 9:17 AM in response to MP407

You’ll not be able to use Earbuds that use a Lightning connector with a USB-C equipped iPad.

Whilst some MFI-approved adapters exist that allow connection of a USB/USB-C cable or device to an iPad with a Lightning port (which includes an “active” interface converter), the reverse arrangement is not available. The adapter is not simply a wiring or physical plug conversion - but instead includes active electronics.

You would be best advised to use commonly available EarPods with a 3.5mm audio plug, with a USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MU7E2ZM/A

Lightning earphones to USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.