Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tme Machine Permissions

When trying to restore files from Time Machine backup it says I don't have permission to to do it. It will not accept the changes when I go to the info screen. How do I correct this?

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 7:07 PM

Are you following these instructions: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support?

The reason for asking is that you may not restore items any other way, and you mentioned trying to change permissions which is not a requirement. Time Machine owns its backups and their permissions cannot be changed.

On the other hand if you are following Apple's Restore instructions through the TM interface and you're encountering that error I wouldn't know how to fix it. Are you restoring items in your Home folder (directory) or one of its subfolders, or...?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 7:07 PM in response to jackfromeastpoint

Are you following these instructions: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support?

The reason for asking is that you may not restore items any other way, and you mentioned trying to change permissions which is not a requirement. Time Machine owns its backups and their permissions cannot be changed.

On the other hand if you are following Apple's Restore instructions through the TM interface and you're encountering that error I wouldn't know how to fix it. Are you restoring items in your Home folder (directory) or one of its subfolders, or...?

Tme Machine Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.