Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my MacBook 2012 work with Big Sur?

NON

PLEASE CAN MY MACBOOK 2012 MID EDITION WORK WITH BIG SUR OPERATING SYSTEM?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 9:29 AM

There is nothing you can do to that computer that would allow it to be officially supported by Apple for use with Big Sur.

The graphics capabilities of 2012 and older Macs are considered too limited to support the graphics effects required to use MacOS beyond Catalina in an appropriately-responsive way.

When the hardware is not capable enough, it falls back to software emulation for some graphics functions. The counter-example sometimes given is minimizing a window into the Dock taking about 20 seconds.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 9:29 AM in response to ABDULLAHIN

There is nothing you can do to that computer that would allow it to be officially supported by Apple for use with Big Sur.

The graphics capabilities of 2012 and older Macs are considered too limited to support the graphics effects required to use MacOS beyond Catalina in an appropriately-responsive way.

When the hardware is not capable enough, it falls back to software emulation for some graphics functions. The counter-example sometimes given is minimizing a window into the Dock taking about 20 seconds.

Can my MacBook 2012 work with Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.