Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Globe key doesn't work properly on a new Macbook Air

I recently switched from Windows to Mac for the first time, got the new M1 one, so this may be a very easy to deal with kind of problem, yet still - my globe key doesn't work after a first couple of times. So, for example, the first 3 or so times I switch languages it works, but then it stops and the key is unresponsive. It just works as a fn key, and not globe, so I switch languages in the menu bar. Am I doing something wrong while switching? Is there a way to make it work all the time? Thanks for any advice in advance :)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:40 PM

I have the same issue on my M1 MBA.

I called Apple support and they provided information as follows.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

I am not sure why fixed the issue but my issue was resolved by safe mode. fyi.

Thank you.

8 replies

Jan 8, 2021 4:40 AM in response to Nanase44

Nanase44 wrote:

I had exactly same problem software is up to date, tried safe mode but it comes back, I had to swap my new m1 lap top 3 times from where I bought, but all 3 lap tops has same issue, I will bring to apple store...

The globe key is a new feature with Big Sur, just released a couple months ago. Apple has to fix it via a software update. Waste of time going to Apple store I am sure. While you are waiting, just use the shortcuts or other methods which everyone has used for countless years until Big Sur.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

Feb 15, 2021 2:19 AM in response to dfcnsckben

I have exactly the same issue with my MacBook Pro on M1 chip, the only difference is my global key works well for couple of days and then goes non responsive for the feature of changing languages , while fn works well. Please help!!! this is really annoying. At this moment I fix this by restarting my computer. This always happens when I have busy communication with different people on different languages and only thing I can do is to restart

Globe key doesn't work properly on a new Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.