Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur: After update my computer freezes when starting a new applications

Hi,

Since my upgrade to Big Sur, whenever I start an application, my computer freezes for a while. Sound and videos keep playing but the iMac just hangs.

At first I thought it had something to do with incompatible apps but most of them are updated to their latest version where they mention support for Big Sur. But even Apple apps have the problem.

So I went into the console.app and looked at the system.log

And I see a lot lines like:

Dec 8 17:41:36 VTDecoderXPCService[20295]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonVADriver2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonVADriver2: #2: No such file or directory

Dec 8 17:41:36 VTDecoderXPCService[20295]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonVADriver2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonVADriver2: #2: No such file or directory

Dec 8 17:41:36 VTDecoderXPCService[20295]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVAME.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVAME: #2: No such file or directory

and

Dec 8 20:42:56 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.11000000-0300-0000-0000-000000000000[24850]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[107]

Dec 8 20:42:57 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.18000000-0200-0000-0000-000000000000[24901]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[107]

Anyone has an idea?

My iMac is am iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Thanks for your time!

Peter

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 9:07 AM

Just when I wanted to reinstall, the new update was there. So I tried that first.

The update did not take care of the log messages but apparently these were not the cause as the hanging stopped completely! So my case is solved.

Thanks everyone for your time and help! And stay safe!

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 14, 2020 12:31 AM in response to judysings

Hi Judy!

I'm in safe mode now and the machine feels very sluggish which is probably normal. I don't see the loglines mentioned but I do see now several others that are 'strange'

Dec 14 09:18:38 AKAuthorizationRemoteViewService[866]: objc[866]: Class AKCredentialRequestContext is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AuthKit.framework/Versions/A/AuthKit and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AuthKitUI.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/AKAuthorizationRemoteViewService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/AKAuthorizationRemoteViewService. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Dec 14 09:17:09 iCloudNotificationAgent[847]: objc[847]: Class INActivity is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/Intents.framework/Versions/A/Intents and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iCloudNotification.framework/iCloudNotificationAgent. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Dec 14 09:14:18 AccountProfileRemoteViewService[659]: objc[659]: Class AOSUISpyglassAccountChangeHelper is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSUI.framework/Versions/A/AOSUI and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSUI.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/AccountProfileRemoteViewService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/AccountProfileRemoteViewService. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

And there are plenty more (they probably get lost in normal mode because of all the other line being spewed).

So it seems, for some reason, I have a 'double' installation? Or is this normal behaviour?

Thanks!

Peter

Dec 14, 2020 4:33 AM in response to pverhoye

I am not too good at reading the gibberish messages from Console - but what I see is the Driver for the GPU is acting up. Suggest doing a Time Machine Backup and if possible 2 Boot Clones on separate drives. Reboot to Recovery Mode ( Command + r ) immediately at boot-up. Choose to Reinstall Big Sur. This is an in-place installation. It should replace any corrupted or missing system files during the first upgrade. All personal files, preference etc should remain in place. The idea is hopefully fix the GPU Driver.

Big Sur: After update my computer freezes when starting a new applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.