Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant vs Carbon Copy Cloner

I have a mid 2012 iMac that has a seriously corrupted 1TB hard drive, in the Recovery area. Not recoverable. Since this machine has now reached the end of life not only in Software Upgrades but Hardware as well, I have purchased a 2020 model replacement due in January. The corrupted iMac is powered down as is the Time Machine waiting for the new device.

I have already cloned the hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner using a NewerTech Voyager S3 and I also have what I believe to be a valid Time machine backup. The question now arrises where I have a brand new machine with Big Sur as the OS; how do I copy the files I made on on the clone drive, without dragging junk that I do not want, and files that surely don't belong there to the new Big Sur SSD drive?

Does MA or CCC do this intuitively or is this going to be a lengthy and painful process. Is there a clearly defined "How To Manual" in the form of someones hard work and notes to get the job done?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bruce

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 6:34 PM

Is there a clearly defined "How To Manual" ...

Yes. The new Mac will ask if you want to transfer information from another Mac or a Time Machine backup. Choose the latter. You can probably choose the CCC backup in the same manner. I don't use it but it should do the same thing.

It takes a while to transfer data, not so much due to the connection speed but all the "overhead" involved with exhaustively examining each of the potentially of thousands of little files that have to be moved, converted, verified, etc. It's almost certain to take hours, but that's the best way to do it.

Set up your Mac - Apple Support explains what to expect.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 6:34 PM in response to Bruce Lukaszewicz

Is there a clearly defined "How To Manual" ...

Yes. The new Mac will ask if you want to transfer information from another Mac or a Time Machine backup. Choose the latter. You can probably choose the CCC backup in the same manner. I don't use it but it should do the same thing.

It takes a while to transfer data, not so much due to the connection speed but all the "overhead" involved with exhaustively examining each of the potentially of thousands of little files that have to be moved, converted, verified, etc. It's almost certain to take hours, but that's the best way to do it.

Set up your Mac - Apple Support explains what to expect.

Dec 8, 2020 6:35 PM in response to Bruce Lukaszewicz

I can't speak for Carbon Copy Cloner at all. But you can pick and choose what you want to migrate via Migration Assistant. You can do "everything" or just certain "user accounts". Here is the Apple Support article: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

If you were happy with the performance, configuration, and behaviour of the old computer, then you can migrate everything. If you had a mess, then you might want to limit the migration to just your user account. You will have to reinstall any apps.

Dec 9, 2020 8:20 PM in response to Bruce Lukaszewicz

To expand upon @etresoft's reply:

If you were having software/settings problems with the old iMac, then depending on what those issues were I would not even migrate just the user account(s) as it may still bring over some items from outside the user account (at least it did so for me years ago with Yosemite's Setup Assistant). I ended up just manually copying my data and specific settings/preferences to the new system after performing a clean install. You could use CCC to do manually copy specific items as well since CCC has an option to select/deselect various folders/items.

Migration Assistant vs Carbon Copy Cloner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.