Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up deleted messages to iCloud?

How can back up and recover deleted messages to my iCloud from messages and other messagtwxting apps like face book messanger? I

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 12:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 12:45 AM

I do not know about messages/conversations on third-party apps like FaceBook Messenger, etc.

iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages are automatically synced with iCloud if you have turned ON and use Messages in iCloud option. Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If this was done, and then you delete a message from say your device ... it will also be deleted from iCloud (and the other devices connected to iCloud).

Also, if this was done, iCloud backup does not contain your Messages. What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

If Messages in iCloud option was NOT turned on (not being used), then, messages were included in your iCloud Backup. But if you deleted some messages then did a backup, the new backup (not containing the deleted messages) would overwrite the old backup, and so the deleted messages would also be overwritten.

If you restore from iCloud backup then your phone would be restored to how it was at the time of the backup (with all the data that was on it, at the time of the backup) and you might have some deleted messages back again.

Caution: because your phone will go back to how it was at the time of backup with respect to data ... newly added data (messages) etc. since the backup, will not be present on your restored phone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 12:45 AM in response to Vikki0725

I do not know about messages/conversations on third-party apps like FaceBook Messenger, etc.

iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages are automatically synced with iCloud if you have turned ON and use Messages in iCloud option. Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If this was done, and then you delete a message from say your device ... it will also be deleted from iCloud (and the other devices connected to iCloud).

Also, if this was done, iCloud backup does not contain your Messages. What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

If Messages in iCloud option was NOT turned on (not being used), then, messages were included in your iCloud Backup. But if you deleted some messages then did a backup, the new backup (not containing the deleted messages) would overwrite the old backup, and so the deleted messages would also be overwritten.

If you restore from iCloud backup then your phone would be restored to how it was at the time of the backup (with all the data that was on it, at the time of the backup) and you might have some deleted messages back again.

Caution: because your phone will go back to how it was at the time of backup with respect to data ... newly added data (messages) etc. since the backup, will not be present on your restored phone.

Backing up deleted messages to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.