Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display screen goes black for a few seconds every few minutes with macbook air 2017 13

Hi all, I have a macbook air 2017 13 inch and a Dell monitor. I use a Belkin TB to hdmi cable to connect to my monitor. What happens is that when connected to the second screen, the second screen turns black for a few seconds (sometimes 10-20 seconds, sometimes just 1 or 2). This seems to happen completely random and sometimes it doesn't happen for 30 minutes whereas at times it happens a few times per minute. My macbook screen does not turn black when the second screen does.

I have had the same issue before with another monitor so something tells me that the issue is with my mac and not the monitors.

Could anyone help me resolve this issue? I wonder if it could be a faulty cable or if I have to change some of my settings?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 11:33 PM

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. I recommend that you start with the cable and replace it.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 11:33 PM in response to marvingg

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. I recommend that you start with the cable and replace it.

Axel F.

External display screen goes black for a few seconds every few minutes with macbook air 2017 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.