Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook is telling me the connection failed when I try connecting my airpods. How do I fix this?

Why is my macbook not connecting to my airpods and saying that the connection failed?

MacBook

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 4:37 PM

You’d have to go to your bluetooth menu. Should be next to your wifi menu at the top right of your screen. Click on the cog in the bluetooth menu, and then choose ‘forget this device’ . You also have to make sure that your macbook is discoverable via bluetooth and that bluetooth is ON. There should be a user guide that came with your airpods... check that on how to re-pair them with your macbook pro. You can do that for pretty much all bluetooth speakers and headphones...

good luck to you

John B

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 4:37 PM in response to Tabby_Cat95

You’d have to go to your bluetooth menu. Should be next to your wifi menu at the top right of your screen. Click on the cog in the bluetooth menu, and then choose ‘forget this device’ . You also have to make sure that your macbook is discoverable via bluetooth and that bluetooth is ON. There should be a user guide that came with your airpods... check that on how to re-pair them with your macbook pro. You can do that for pretty much all bluetooth speakers and headphones...

good luck to you

John B

Dec 10, 2020 7:27 PM in response to Tabby_Cat95

I've had this issue before. What I did was:

1. Opened up Bluetooth Preferences in the System Preferences.
  2. Removed the AirPods when they showed up by clicking the x icon that appears to the right.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Factory reset the AirPods by holding the button until you see it blink amber three times then it will begin to blink white.
  5. Pair the AirPods again.

It doesn't always work and you may have to clear your bluetooth settings if it fails and an exclamation mark in a triangle symbol appears. One way to do it is using the Bluetooth debug menu. You'll need the Bluetooth icon in your menu bar for this.

1. Hold option+shift and click the Bluetooth icon.
  2. From the Debug menu that appears choose “Remove all devices” and “Reset the Bluetooth module”.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Factory reset the AirPods by holding the button until you see it blink amber three times then it will begin to blink white.

Another way to do this would be to remove the Bluetooth preference list which is a little more hands on.

1. Open up finder and press command + shift + G and enter "/Library/Preferences" without the quotes.
  2. The file you're looking for is com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and you should make a backup copy of it to your desktop.
  3. Move that file to the trash and then reboot.

My macbook is telling me the connection failed when I try connecting my airpods. How do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.