Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade from yosemite 10.10.5 on macbbok pro end 2009 processor 2,53 Ghz core duo2 2x2GB memory

Hi there

Macbook pro 15 inches, old for sure but in advance of its time so:

need to upgrade to have my iphone SE 2020 recognised by i tunes for my play list and sounds. itunes tells me that i need a system upgrade 10.11.4.

My problem is: can i do it? and if so seem that el capitan is a No go. should I go to Sierra? leopard? I can not find any info helping me so far on which upgrade I could take just for that!

if I upgrade will I loose my pictures/movies?

for rest all is fine

Many thanks in advance!!

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 2:48 AM

The USB needs to be reformatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a GUID partition map.

Open Disk Utility.

Highlight the Disk not the indented Volume

Click Erase.

Give the Disk a name MyVolume for example.

Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

When Done quit Disk Utility.

The USB is now ready open Terminal

and paste the command in again.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 2:48 AM in response to Galzou

The USB needs to be reformatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a GUID partition map.

Open Disk Utility.

Highlight the Disk not the indented Volume

Click Erase.

Give the Disk a name MyVolume for example.

Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

When Done quit Disk Utility.

The USB is now ready open Terminal

and paste the command in again.

Dec 9, 2020 11:44 PM in response to Galzou

Your 2009 MacBook Pro can only upgrade as far as Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

It cannot upgrade to Sierra or any other newer OS's. And Leopard is a very old OS,

its numerical identifier was 10.5 which is six versions of OS before El Capitan 10.11.

To upgrade to El Capitan follow the instructions below.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on OS X El Capitan 10.11

this downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan,

a mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

To start the installation of El Capitan double click on the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

The copy of the install app self deletes after installing El Capitan, so make sure you keep a copy of the 

InstallMacOSX.dmg if you need it in future, or you could just make a copy of the Install OS X El Capitan.app 

prior to installing and moving it to an external drive for safe keeping. 

It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications

folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Simply installing El Capitan over your install of Yosemite is fine and will not overwrite or

erase any of your data.

But it is recommended to always make a full backup of your mac before upgrading.

Also check that any third party apps you use in Yosemite are compatible with El Capitan,

use this app, https://roaringapps.com/apps. Use the Options button to select/ deselect

the OS's you want to compare, and enter the apps name in the Search field.

Dec 10, 2020 2:40 AM in response to Galzou

Many Thanks for quick reply and very helpful

I thought i would make it from there

I managed to download el capitan now :)

my problem is to copy the download to a USB:

When I try to get USB with sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app it tells me it does not recognize despite changing my volume to real USB name.

so i believe my pb is:

to copy on an USB, I deleted all content, now it is in the FAT format and it seems i need to get it from your explanation to MSOX extended. however impossible to change the format in disk utility: i tried: verify/ repair even erase. no chance. seem it is not in the support apple again, can not find it.

could you help? Many thanks (again)!

Dec 10, 2020 7:58 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hello,

got the app and installed it several times Get the message OS X can not be installed. Contact manufacturer

only choice is to restart and start again.

for select disk the original do not show so can not get out of the installation app.

i have access to utility ( disk where I can see the original ) terminal and system information.

any procedure to get out of install app and going back to my desktop?

thanks again

Dec 11, 2020 7:32 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi thanks again to take care of this. As I am stuck, do you think that if i erase the disk image of installer as my screenshot show in post below I have a chance to go out of the loop and find my system as before installer ?

or I should erase all hard drive from the utilities and count on my back up?

i am worried to crash everything and not find any way to get to a desktop with command.

Any advice on how to proceed to try to get a computer back working even empty would be extremely useful. Thanks again here!

upgrade from yosemite 10.10.5 on macbbok pro end 2009 processor 2,53 Ghz core duo2 2x2GB memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.