You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files doesn't recognize flash drive

I have a flash drive I got from Amazon, that has a built in lightning connector to connect directly to the ipad. The app that goes along with it works fine to transfer photos, but I can't get "Files" to recognize the flash drive and list it under "Locations," so that I can copy files to it! The drive is formatted to exFAT like it's supposed to be. My Ipad is updated, also. I tried restarting the ipad, and that didn't work either. It's only a little flash drive, so it doesn't need an external power source. When I did an internet search, some websites said there's supposed to be a tab for "more locations" under "Locations," but I don't see that on my iPad. I have a regular ipad, 7th generation that came out last year, not the ipad pro.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 11:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 6:42 AM

Flash Drives that use a Lightning connector are manufacturer proprietary - and require support via a companion App. Unless the App is explicitly coded by the Developer to integrate with the native Files App, the drive will not be visible via the Files Locations tab.

Whilst I can offer no guarantee of success, you may find that one of the better third-party file management Apps may provide a “bridge” to the native Files App.

One App that may be useful in this regard is FileBrowser - Document Manager:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-document-manager/id364738545

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2020 6:42 AM in response to constance146

Flash Drives that use a Lightning connector are manufacturer proprietary - and require support via a companion App. Unless the App is explicitly coded by the Developer to integrate with the native Files App, the drive will not be visible via the Files Locations tab.

Whilst I can offer no guarantee of success, you may find that one of the better third-party file management Apps may provide a “bridge” to the native Files App.

One App that may be useful in this regard is FileBrowser - Document Manager:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-document-manager/id364738545

Dec 14, 2020 6:32 AM in response to constance146

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, constance146!

We understand you're not able to see a connected flash drive on your iPad. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

As a test, are you able to see any other connected flash drives? You can also try formatting the flash drive to the other compatible formats in the article: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

As for the "more locations" option, this would appear if you are signed in to other cloud storage options, for example, OneDrive or Google Drive and for servers you connect to.

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Files doesn't recognize flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.