You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16 loud fan noise + extreme heat when connected to an external 4K monitor

Not sure if I've bought a MacBook (over £3K piece of kit) or the the most expensive and noisy toaster out there.

My MacBook Pro 16 gets incredibly noisy and reaches extreme heat levels when it's connected to an external monitor.

I know that many people have already complained about this issue, but I was wondering if there are any updates / tips to solve this.

This is my setup:

• MacBook Pro 16 / 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 / AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
  • Using MacBook in Clamshell mode
  • 1 x Dell 27 4K UHD Monitor - S2721QS
  • Monitor is connected through 4K USB C to HDMI Cable - I have also tried USB C to DisplayPort cable

The fans reach 5800 RPM

Noise levels reach 45 dB

Most worryingly, CPU temp reaches 75 C (and it's not yet summer here)

This behaviour is far from normal and it's unacceptable to have this.

There is also the risk for the MacBook's components/battery life to get

seriously affected by such circumstances.

Are there any updates? Is there any official information from Apple?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 1:13 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 14, 2020 8:55 AM in response to apphancer

Hello apphancer,

We can understand the concern of having the heat and fan noise on your MacBook Pro when using an external display. We're happy to help with you this. In some cases it is normal for the computer to get hotter when an external display is connected. This is caused by the discrete GPU being in use when an external display is connected. The discrete GPU has a higher performance, and will generate more heat. This is also what is triggering the fan, as it is working harder to keep the computer from overheating. We recommend resetting the system management controller (SMC) to help with this trouble you're having. Get the steps to do so here:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Let us know if this helps you.

Good luck!

MacBook Pro 16 loud fan noise + extreme heat when connected to an external 4K monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.