Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to buy a single tune on iTunes but can't find the search field for iTunes

When I open the music icon, I can click on the iTunes store - but I can't find the search field for the iTunes store.

There's a search field for Apple Music at the top of the menu for the music icon - but it takes me only to the "Buy an Apple Subscription" option, which I don't want and will not buy.

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:02 PM

5 replies

Dec 14, 2020 12:03 PM in response to roslynfromthornhill

Hi roslynfromthornhill,

We understand you're not able to purchase a song as expected. We have great information to help.

Buy or download music from the iTunes Store in Music on Mac

This section will help further.

"Buy or download an individual item

1. In the Music app  on your Mac, search the iTunes Store. See Search for music.
  2. Your search results appear in the Music window.
  3. To preview an item before purchasing, move the pointer over the item, then click the Preview button .
  4. To buy and download the item, click the button—which might be labeled Buy, Free, Subscribe, a specific price, or something else."

If you happen to be using an iOS device or PC, check out the steps in this article instead: Buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

Have a great week!

Jan 10, 2021 2:59 PM in response to Cory_J1

Long ago and far away iTunes worked like that.

Now on my 2020 MBP I go to that itunes app (the red one with the white notes. When it opens I click on iTunes store on the left tool bar. No music search field comes up - no , nada. The only search field is at the top of the left tool bar. I put the name of the song or album I want there and it shows in the main window. I click on it and up comes the one and only option to buy a monthly subscription to Apple Music. You can then click on "Try it Free" or "Not Now". There's no option to buy any more. Long ago and far away.

Jan 10, 2021 6:35 PM in response to ed2345

Many thanks, that does do the trick. But those tabs didn't show up when I filled in the search field and then hit search. It was just blank there.

After I went back and forth between the search field and the iTunes store several times, and then suddenly for no reason I could tell, the tabs showed up.

But once I did get the tabs, then hitting on iTunes Store did allow me to buy items separately or as an album.

I've tried it several times now and sometimes the tabs show up and sometimes they don't. Again I have to go back and forth several times and it seems to be just random whether the tabs will show or not.

I want to buy a single tune on iTunes but can't find the search field for iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.