Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use ext hard disk without formatting !!

how to use ext hard disk without formatting ! large imp data so cant format !! pls help there has to be some way !! let me know asap

MacBook

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 1:24 AM

If you have an existing data on an external disk which is not recognised by your MacBook you might have to use some ingenuity. In the worst case it might be necessary to add a completely new disk which can be formatted on the MacBook, then migrate the data by cable from the original external storage onto the new (compatible format) disk.

Without more information about the format on the original external device and what machines you have available, I can’t go better than this general suggestion. Post back with more details if you are still struggling.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 1:24 AM in response to hhyyy123

If you have an existing data on an external disk which is not recognised by your MacBook you might have to use some ingenuity. In the worst case it might be necessary to add a completely new disk which can be formatted on the MacBook, then migrate the data by cable from the original external storage onto the new (compatible format) disk.

Without more information about the format on the original external device and what machines you have available, I can’t go better than this general suggestion. Post back with more details if you are still struggling.

how to use ext hard disk without formatting !!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.