Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud

If I have 1 tB space on my iCloud Drive then why is my HD on my Mac full? I put all the files into the documents folder, which I thought was uploaded to the iCloud?

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 6:20 PM

Do you have the iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents option turned on? That is required if you want the Documents folder to sync to iCloud. Without that option turned on, only the iCloud Drive folder will sync. See: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Do you have Optimize Storage option turned on? If that is not turned on there will be a local copy of all of your storage. See the description below from that same link above:

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. If you want to free up more space on your Mac, follow these steps. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can search and browse files from all of your devices and download them only as you need them.

Are Photos a significant part of the storage on your drive? If so, see the following about iCloud Photos and also about the Optimize option for Photos in Photos Preferences: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 6:20 PM in response to DrMwho

Do you have the iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents option turned on? That is required if you want the Documents folder to sync to iCloud. Without that option turned on, only the iCloud Drive folder will sync. See: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Do you have Optimize Storage option turned on? If that is not turned on there will be a local copy of all of your storage. See the description below from that same link above:

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. If you want to free up more space on your Mac, follow these steps. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can search and browse files from all of your devices and download them only as you need them.

Are Photos a significant part of the storage on your drive? If so, see the following about iCloud Photos and also about the Optimize option for Photos in Photos Preferences: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.