Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 Using External SSD

Hi, I bought the new Mac Mini M1 and would like to use it with a external 1TB SSD. I recently bought a 2018-2019 Mac Mini and was using my external SSD just fine with it, but now with the M1 it is having all kinds of connectivity issues. I thought I would just plug it in the M1 and it would work, since it has the same OS version as the internal SSD, but it wouldn't let me. It said I needed to reinstall 11.01 all over again, so I tried, but it got halfway and then said there was an error and it stopped installing. It then said I had the wrong version of macOS, even though the internal SSD had the same exact version (11.01).

So I formatted my SSD and reinstalled 11.01 onto it. Guess what, yep, you guessed it, it says I can't use it because it needs to be "updated" - even though it is the current version of macOS (11.01).

BTW, I tried the Startup Security Utility as shown here;

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

but there was no external drive option.

How can I get this M1 to boot into the external SSD?

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 10:41 PM

Similar questions

52 replies

Dec 11, 2020 8:19 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

Your Intel Mac mini uses the Apple T2 chip and it pees on your drive on the older mini to secure and associate it with that hardware. The M1 mini also has the T2 chip and realizes that the drive belongs to another Mac, and wants you to reinstall the operating system on the drive, so the M1's T2 chip can securely mark it with its own scent.

Hardware security overview.

Dec 11, 2020 8:30 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

The M1 mini also has the T2 chip and realizes that the drive belongs to another Mac, and wants you to reinstall the operating system on the drive, so the M1's T2 chip can securely mark it with its own scent.

Hardware security overview.

I thought about that too, which is why I completely reformatted the SSD and then installed a brand new fresh copy of 11.01 on it. The M1 T2 should now see the SSD as a new SSD and show the option for external drives in the Startup Security Utility, but it doesn't.

Dec 11, 2020 6:20 PM in response to woodmeister50

woodmeister50 wrote:

I tried a few times my self with the last time saying the drive needed a software
update???

Yes, when the Startup Security Utility is not set to allow external drives, it tells you to update.

The problem is it doesn't show the "External Boot" section of the Startup Security utility, so you can't select "Allow booting from external media". This is a huge bug that Apple should have known about during their beta testing of the M1.

See below what it is supposed to look like. On a M1 the lower half (everything below medium security) of the utility is completly missing.

Dec 14, 2020 9:12 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

I may have made some progress. I went back into recovery and this time it accepted my password. Previously at this step it rejected it. Once it accepted the password it installed 11.01 (even though it was already installed on the drive). Once 11.01 was installed it booted into the screen shown below, and under the icon it just said “Other...”. Then when you click on it a password field opens. The problem is that no matter what name/ password combination I use it rejects it.

Dec 11, 2020 2:05 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

Have you tried to make a bootable Big Sur flash installer via the Terminal, boot from it, erase the external device (not just the volume under it) as APFS GUID, then install Big Sur on the external disk? And you already allowed external booting by visiting the Recovery mode? Or is the external boot option missing there?? Disclaimer: I don't have M1 Mac mini, only Intel.

Dec 11, 2020 12:32 PM in response to MyApple8MyPC

I tried a few times my self with the last time saying the drive needed a software

update??? Another time it stopped installing and said it could not make the

required permissions update??? One time, all seemed to go well with the install,

but it was never visible.

Installed from recovery and claimed to be 11.0.1?

Each attempt at reinstalling yielded something different. Seems this operation

is no ready for prime time on M1 Macs. I'm going to give support a call and

have them generate a support ticket.

BTW, Recovery is downloading the full installer every time! I thought an installer

would be local unless that is yet another bug.

Dec 12, 2020 4:47 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

Yep, seeing exactly what you describe.

What may be scarier is if removal of external booting on M1 Macs

is by design and not a bug and the way it will be from now on.

While I have no intension of using an externally bootable drive

on a daily basis, it has always been my Plan A if something went

awry on the main system drive and needed to get back up and running

immediately instead of waiting the 3-4 hours or more for Time Machine

to restore the system.

Dec 13, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Peymon

Peymon wrote:

I was using T5 Samsung and didn’t work , then I used My G technology External 1T and worked perfectly to startup externally
steps
1- hold power to get to options
2 - disk utilities and erase and partition
3 - reinstall Os from recovery.
57 min and be patient and it will work.
now I am migrating from TIme machine to new drive.

Good luck. Others have reported getting as far as you

only to have it not be bootable the next time.

Mac Mini M1 Using External SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.