Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the BIU button? Apple says it's there.

According to Apple's iOS 14 User Guide there is such a button format text: B/I/U: Format the selected text.

See: Select and edit text on iPhone - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/select-and-edit-text-iph1a9cae52c/14.0/ios/14.0

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 8:31 AM

13 replies

Dec 11, 2020 1:09 PM in response to Glock 21SF

Glock 21SF wrote:

Well my newly found pedantic acquaintance, I belief you've severely humbled me. Nevertheless, ChrisJ4203, you seem not to realize that Select and edit text in this case applies to Notes which clearly may be likened to message texts.

I trust you'll be careful so as to avoid falling from that seemingly high horse.

You have an odd way of being thankful for someone trying to help you understand.

Here it is as simple as possible. Notes is a rich text client and Messages is not. Meaning Bold/italic/underline are not available in Messages but are available in Notes. And online if the browser supports them.

No documentation about the Messages app says otherwise.

Go ahead and take your swing at me. You'll have to do better then "pedantic acquaintance" or "seemingly high horse"

If you feel Apple has failed to document this clearly, offer your feedback.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Dec 11, 2020 11:45 AM in response to SravanKrA

The inference derives from the link herein again provided for iOS 14: Select and edit text on iPhone - Apple Support

Notice the heading for the ensuing discussion is "Select and edit text." It seemed reasonable to me to think such editing would apply to that app most people use for text, that is, messaging.

I trust I've replied to the inquiry above.

Select and edit text

1. To select text, do any of the following:
    • Select a word: Double-tap with one finger.
    • Select a line or sentence: Triple-tap with one finger.
    • Select a paragraph: Quadruple-tap with one finger.
    • Select a block of text: Touch and hold the first word in the block, then drag to the last word.
  1. After selecting the text you want to revise, you can type, or tap the selection to see editing options:
    • Cut: Tap Cut or pinch closed with three fingers two times.
    • Copy: Tap Copy or pinch closed with three fingers.
    • Paste: Tap Paste or pinch open with three fingers.
    • Replace: View suggested replacement text, or have Siri suggest alternative text.
    • B/I/U: Format the selected text.
    • : View more options.

Dec 11, 2020 1:38 PM in response to Glock 21SF

Depending on the app, you may not see this option in the popup menu right away. Mar 27, 2020

the messaging app does come across a something of a word processor.

Again. Messages is not a rich text client. No formatting for you!

And to you, I come across as pedantic and on a high horse. I am neither.

You asked a question and don't like or agree with the answer provided. No problem

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> hhttp://www.apple.com/feedback/

Dec 11, 2020 11:56 AM in response to Glock 21SF

I'm sorry, but when the heading is Select and edit text, in this case, the work text stands for the letters creating a word or sentence. Not text in the meaning of text message. There is a difference, that is why the images you see are of email. See this partial definition of text from the dictionary. the actual wording of anything written or printed:

Dec 11, 2020 12:25 PM in response to Glock 21SF

In which case is it that you are referring to Notes? The image examples in the link that you provided shows usage in email. The image provided by SravanKrA is Notes yes, but that is not what I was referring to. I provided that definition to show what was being used in that reference. No where did I reference being on a high horse and it was not necessary for you to get personal. I wanted to ensure you realized the difference in the reference in the User Guide that it did not mean Messages.

Dec 11, 2020 12:47 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I will apologize to ChrisJ4203 with the hope he understands that his dictionary definition on its face alludes to "anything written" which would clearly include creating PIXELized words in Mail, Notes and Messages.

Bringing the dictionary into the discussion seemed odd because, after all, we're talking about a phone historically a speech implement which is evidently now a rather small computer people use to take photographs.

Dec 11, 2020 1:28 PM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen, every thing you say, as well as how you say it, is in no way bothersome. To those who don't necessarily know the significance of a rich text client or whether an app is one, the messaging app does come across a something of a word processor. When I Google "where is iphone BIU button," unaware as I was it's not possible in messaging the first response is:

Double-tap a word to highlight it and drag the indicators to select multiple words if you want. Then, a menu will pop up. Tap "BIU" here, then select from one of the four options: Bold, Italic, Underline, or Strikethrough. Depending on the app, you may not see this option in the popup menu right away. Mar 27, 2020

Bottom line, you're coming from a horse of ordinary height and not in any pedantic.

Where is the BIU button? Apple says it's there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.