Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high headphone noise floor in Windows 10 bootcamp

Just installed latest Windows 10 (20H2) on my brand new Macbook Pro 16" - everything works great except I'm having a very specific issue with the headphone output. When I'm using sensitive, low-impedance headphones, there is a very loud noise floor when playing any audio. This does not happen in macOS so I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue - has anyone else experienced this and is there any way to fix it?

Things I have tried:

• uninstalling "Apple Audio Device" from device manager, after reinstall problem persists
  • checking sound output format in control panel, box shows DVD quality 48000kHz and is greyed out (I can't change it to CD quality)
  • testing with different headphones (issue much less noticeable with full-size headphones)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 8:42 AM

Just received the IEMatch, tested and confirmed it fixed the noise issue in Windows (noise is basically imperceptible with the IEMatch connected). It makes a much bigger difference than I was expecting actually, it even reduces the noise floor and removes some resampling artifacts from other sources like macOS and my phone.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Loner T

Just received the IEMatch, tested and confirmed it fixed the noise issue in Windows (noise is basically imperceptible with the IEMatch connected). It makes a much bigger difference than I was expecting actually, it even reduces the noise floor and removes some resampling artifacts from other sources like macOS and my phone.

Dec 12, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Loner T

Yeah I realize that, it's not the biggest deal but still slightly annoying for using Windows when not at my desk. I don't have access to an actual Windows PC to test, but I am pretty confident that it won't be nearly as bad.

I'm still pretty surprised by the amount of noise difference between the two OSes on my identical hardware though, so I still think it's an issue with my bootcamp config and not with Windows itself. I'll probably try installing older versions of windows, or testing on my old MBP to see if I can diagnose the issue.

Dec 12, 2020 2:38 PM in response to Loner T

After a lot more testing, I now think that you're probably right that this isn't a bug and that macOS just handles my specific IEMs better than windows. I tested with normal Apple wired earpods and they sounded fine, couldn't hear the noise floor at all. A frequency analyzer comparison also didn't work since the difference in noise was actually lower than the input noise floor of my audio interface lol.

I guess my solution will be to get a hardware impedance adapter like an iFi IEMatch which should solve the issue. Thanks for all your help though!

high headphone noise floor in Windows 10 bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.