Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voiceover Issue in iMovie

iMac 2017

MOTU 828MK3 Audio Interface

So I did a VoiceOver with my microphone going through my 828 interface no problem a few days ago. Today, the VoiceOver recorded, but there was no volume. In VoiceOver settings I cannot turn up the volume on the slider- it is greyed out. Then when I leave the VoiceOver mode, the settings on the top are all greyed out too.

It's not the interface- works fine in Logic Pro X and Garageband. I'd hate to have to work around by going in and out of logic. I have too much work to do to have to keep doing that for every clip.

Tried Audio/Midi setup. Output master fader is greyed out as well.

Tried rebooting, no help.

Tried starting a new project, no dice.

Explore settings, preferences and audio midi setup. No dice.

I've about had it with iMovie X. There is always an issue- I used to love it when it was 7. I just don't want to drop so much money on Final Cut for something I only use occasionally.

Please help if you know what is happening.

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 3:26 PM

Does the built-in microphone work? If yes, then it is not a preferences issue. If no, then if you haven't already done so, try going to System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Microphone and add iMovie in the right hand pane.

It could also be an issue confined to this one project. See if the voiceover works in a newly created project.

I wasn't quite clear whether you tried deleting preferences, but if you have not then do so. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 3:26 PM in response to PMACNYC

Does the built-in microphone work? If yes, then it is not a preferences issue. If no, then if you haven't already done so, try going to System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Microphone and add iMovie in the right hand pane.

It could also be an issue confined to this one project. See if the voiceover works in a newly created project.

I wasn't quite clear whether you tried deleting preferences, but if you have not then do so. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Voiceover Issue in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.