Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chargers

I have a iPhone 12 and was wondering if I could use the same charger that I used for the iPhone 7

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 9:23 AM

Fortunately the USB standard is universally recognized, including older USB standards and the current USB-C. So if the cable fits without forcing into any quality brand USB power source it is safe to use. The cable that comes with the iPhone 12 is USB-C, which will not fit into an older USB power source, but you can use the older cable that does fit.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 9:23 AM in response to DanielDavila

Fortunately the USB standard is universally recognized, including older USB standards and the current USB-C. So if the cable fits without forcing into any quality brand USB power source it is safe to use. The cable that comes with the iPhone 12 is USB-C, which will not fit into an older USB power source, but you can use the older cable that does fit.

Dec 12, 2020 11:32 AM in response to Karangambhir

Thanks karangambhir, , a useful addition to the question. To expand further, here are charger options, ranked in order of increasing charging speed:

1. iPhone “cube” 5W power source (this is the slowest)
  2. Standard Qi 7.5 watt wireless charger
  3. iPad 12 watt power source
  4. USB-C 13 watt power source
  5. Apple MagSafe 15 watt wireless charger
  6. Apple USB-C 20 watt USB-C power source (this is the fastest)

For 3. actually any USB power source greater that 12 watts can be used, but the phone won’t take advantage on the higher current available.

For 6. Any USB-C power source greater than 20 watts can be used (such as a MacBook 61 watt power adapter) but won’t be any faster than the 20 watt.

Chargers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.