Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old macbook - need the info

I need to transfer backup file from Macbook Air (OS El Capitain) to a new Macbook Pro ( Big Sur). Should this be done with a wire - am I missing something easier? I tried saving and emailing the backup to myself but google wouldn't allow it

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 12:22 PM

Hi ErinFic,

Thanks for raising this question on Apple Communities.

When transferring files from one computer to another, I would use a USB flash drive, they are small, fast, and easy to use.

If you have a fast internet connection and the number of files you are transferring will fit in your iCloud Drive (or similar cloud storage) quota, I would suggest uploading to iCloud Drive from the MacBook Air, and download them onto your MacBook Pro. You can then delete the files of iCloud Drive when you are done transferring.

Alternatively, you could set up a local network share with an Ethernet cable connected between both MacBooks. This is more cumbersome but could be faster than the USB flash drive / cloud options above.

See how you go with this, and let me know if you have any further questions on my advice.

Kind regards,

Arash

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 12:22 PM in response to ErinFic

Hi ErinFic,

Thanks for raising this question on Apple Communities.

When transferring files from one computer to another, I would use a USB flash drive, they are small, fast, and easy to use.

If you have a fast internet connection and the number of files you are transferring will fit in your iCloud Drive (or similar cloud storage) quota, I would suggest uploading to iCloud Drive from the MacBook Air, and download them onto your MacBook Pro. You can then delete the files of iCloud Drive when you are done transferring.

Alternatively, you could set up a local network share with an Ethernet cable connected between both MacBooks. This is more cumbersome but could be faster than the USB flash drive / cloud options above.

See how you go with this, and let me know if you have any further questions on my advice.

Kind regards,

Arash

Old macbook - need the info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.