Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I need to reinstall programs when they release native ARM support for Apple's new M1 MacBooks?

Just purchased a new 2020 MacBook Air (I'm new to Macbooks in general) and right now only the x86_64 versions of many development tools I use are available. This worries me a bit since I understand that the new M1 MacBooks need to use Rosetta 2 to convert instructions to ARM, leading to performance loss.

When native M1 support arrives for programs such as Homebrew or VSCode, will I need need to uninstall the x86_64 version and install the M1 supported version? Or will these programs simply update to the M1 supported versions automatically?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 1:44 PM

It's up to the developers of those developer tools you use.

I recommend in the strongest possible terms that you use Xcode and not some third party cross-platform product. If you want to develop for macOS do it right or not at all.

1 reply

Will I need to reinstall programs when they release native ARM support for Apple's new M1 MacBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.