Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download photos from iPhone to macbook pro

Is there way to download photos from my iphone to my 2017 macbook pro to store them without upgrading to Big Sur?

(I am trying to do the same. as rustyshackleford. ) My iphone 8 apparently upgraded itself to 14.2. My macbook pro is on Catalina version 10.15.7 but now is telling me I can't connect to my Iphone --good grieff!.

Result.All I'm trying to do is put together a photo Christmas card on shutterfly but unless I agree to this forced upgrade of my operatign system, I am not even able to transfer photos from my iphone to my laptop.

I use my laptop\ as my primary photo back up device and to intergrate and edit photos, for example do things like Christmas letters with photos. Why should it be so difficult just to download photos I took on my iPhone to my "mother ship" laptop?? No, I'm not comfortable saving personal pictures on "the cloud" since income from sharing & maniupulating data on the cloud is unregulated and such a major money maker for big tech all bets of privacy are off in my opinion.

Worse, I haven't been able to find out about pros & cons of Big Sur to even see if I want to do it. Upgrading is always a problem for me. I have 12 years of stuff on my computer as well as the earlier iPhoto app (which I still can't coordinate with the "newer" photo app). I also have a lot of older apps that will need updates except they are now requiring recurring paid subscriptions to update. This insistence that I upgrade to Big Sur its arm twisiting a lot of decisions...never good. I feel am being forced by Apple to keep all devices open to the cloud and interactive. After having Macs since 2007, maybe its time to switch to Linux? Where can I find out abot pros and cons of Big Sur (assuming I have a choice so it likely doesn't matter, right?)

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 3:22 PM

Catalina and iOS 14.2 should be compatible. Try the following in order:

1 - Log into another vanilla admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac start a Photos library and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

2 - Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

3 - If you still can't get the iPhone to take to your iMac try launching Image Capture with the iPhone connected via USB. If you an it'll be a workaround until the problem gets resolved.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 3:22 PM in response to LeslieofAurora

Catalina and iOS 14.2 should be compatible. Try the following in order:

1 - Log into another vanilla admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac start a Photos library and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

2 - Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

3 - If you still can't get the iPhone to take to your iMac try launching Image Capture with the iPhone connected via USB. If you an it'll be a workaround until the problem gets resolved.

Download photos from iPhone to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.