Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete photos on MacBook ONLY

Hi I only have 250GB MacBook Pro and it has already filled up will photos from iCloud. Now there is not enough space to update to latest MacOS Big Sur. If I uncheck 'Apps on this Mac using iCloud', go into Photos, and select and delete all photos, will that ONLY delete photos from the Mac and keep my photos in iCloud safe? Can I then do the update and then bring my photos back from iCloud afterwards?

Assuming that works, is there anyway I can chose to view photos in iCloud on the MacBook just like I do on iPad, without being forced to take up all the space on my MacBook by downloading them?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 7:25 AM

Sorry for the late reply - not getting email update about your latest reply.

Turn OFF iCloud on the laptop will stop syncing any new pics / videos from this device. Once that is done, I would login to www.icloud.com using your Apple ID and Password and Verify all the pics and videos are still there. If yes good. Back to Laptop and delete pics and videos - if the message appears warning that this will remove the pics / videos from ALL devices - Not Good. If no message continue to remove.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 7:25 AM in response to mebaffled

Sorry for the late reply - not getting email update about your latest reply.

Turn OFF iCloud on the laptop will stop syncing any new pics / videos from this device. Once that is done, I would login to www.icloud.com using your Apple ID and Password and Verify all the pics and videos are still there. If yes good. Back to Laptop and delete pics and videos - if the message appears warning that this will remove the pics / videos from ALL devices - Not Good. If no message continue to remove.

Dec 13, 2020 6:33 AM in response to MsPamelaM2

Following upon what @MsPamelaM2 has said. The official as per Apple - to upgrade from Sierra to newer macOS to Big Sur will required 35.5 GB Empty Space for a successful installation. That is a lot of empty space especially, if as you say, have a lot of pictures Optimized from computer to iCloud.

Your situation does require evaluating what is on the drive ie. what Apps are no longer used and can be removed, what videos, Music, Pics, documents etc. are occupying space. A good start would to use this from Apple Support Document and to dig even further this article from a fellow Apple Contributor.

Good luck and keep us updated on the progress

Dec 13, 2020 6:56 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi. Nearly all the space on my MacBook Pro is taken up by photos and videos that have automatically been downloaded from iTunes. I don’t need or want these photos on this device. I want to know...

1. How to remove them from the MacBook without removing them from iCloud
  2. After I have completed the above, freed up space to make room for upgrade to Big Sur, is there anyway I can just view the pictures in iCloud via the MacBook exactly as I do when browsing photos on my iPad?

Dec 13, 2020 4:40 AM in response to mebaffled

I realize I am not answering you situation directly but is the MBP a 2013 or 2014 year model? I ask because if Yes, we can save you a lot of trouble right now. The model year are being blocked by Apple from upgrading to Big Sur ( at least for now ). Reason, it may Brick the machine. Apple is very aware of the problem and we are to believe it will be fixed soon.

Dec 13, 2020 5:08 AM in response to mebaffled

The install space needed is 16GB.

Bg Sur will retain 12GB after successful install.

suggestion: a new SSD drive to store old. That’s really your best solution, long term. And begin looking for a laptop with larger space.

that may not be the answer you’d hoped. But even if you say could maneuver to remove photos, download/install Big Sur, re enable photos, you’ve put yourself right back into a precarious dilemma in very near future: can’t add more new photos, and can’t save any new work to the laptop.

you will face the same issue said on still - without the OS update.

You’re better for now to not make the update, keep a working laptop, and investigate a new with much more memory.

Dec 13, 2020 11:03 AM in response to MsPamelaM2

Hi MsPamela.. thanks for the reply. I’m not looking to buy a laptop with bigger storage. What I’d like to be able to do is keep the photos in iCloud. That’s why I pay Apple for storage. I find it unbelievable that Apple just assume everyone automatically wants to try and cram every single photo and video onto their laptop. Surely there should be a way to view the photos straight from the cloud, just like I do on my iPhone and iPad without downloading them all to the hard drive

and filling up the drive unnecessarily.

Dec 13, 2020 1:22 PM in response to mebaffled

Re: Like on iPad and iPhone for viewing photos and videos. There is a way to leave them all on iCloud and still view them. It would mean having to go to www.icloud.com in Safari and login into it using your Apple ID and password. Once in look for Photos and they will all be there. Reminder, if the laptop in not setup to use iCloud for Photos, the only way to put new videos / pictures to iCloud will be via iPhone and iPad. Awkward way to slime down space on laptop.

The question needs to asked " Does all this extra work and jumping through hoops just to get the latest and greatest macOS worth it" ?

From what I can glean, Catalina has been and is serving you well.

Delete photos on MacBook ONLY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.