Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem reinstalling MacOS Big Sur

Hello:)

Recently I wanted to factory reset my 2020 MacBook Pro, so it was ready to be put up for sale. I followed this video: How to Erase / Factory reset Mac / macOS Big Sur reinstall - YouTube

Whenever I try to reinstall MacOS Big Sur tho, it says "An internet connection is required to install MacOS". In the video, he connects to the internet by pressing the WiFi-icon in the top right, however, the icon does not show up on my mac, and therefore, I cannot connect to the internet.

Any ideas? If anyone have any further questions, please go ahead and ask them. I would appreciate any help.

Video:

https://youtu.be/XYWBrQqze2E

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 8:28 AM

• On an Intel-based Mac that previously used macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R at startup to install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. 

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

You can never install OLDER over newer MacOS. You will need to ERASE the drive to install older.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 8:28 AM in response to Cleanerrr

• On an Intel-based Mac that previously used macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R at startup to install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. 

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

You can never install OLDER over newer MacOS. You will need to ERASE the drive to install older.

Dec 13, 2020 7:17 AM in response to Cleanerrr

This is the guide you should be using to prepare your Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Your 2020 MacBook Pro 13-in was originally issued with 10.15 Catalina software, and that is how it should be delivered to a new owner.

If you install Big Sur on that Mac, the version you install will be tagged with YOUR Apple-ID [the one with your credit card on it] and the new owner will be forced to repeat the process back to factory software and install their own MacOS, tagged with their Apple-ID.

Problem reinstalling MacOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.