Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch stopped unlocking MacBook air

Apple watch series 3 stopped unlocking MacBook Air after upgrades despite following the steps given to activate unlocking.

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 1:31 PM

See this support document for the steps to activate that feature. Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I understand that you said it worked before, however during updates, things can get messed up for lack of a better word. Go into System Preferences, Security & Privacy. Uncheck the box to use the Apple Watch to unlock the Mac. Restart the Mac. Then go back into the same place and turn it back on again. After restarting, you will have to log in with your password, but after that, the Watch should unlock the Mac. I have to do that every once in a while with my 2019 MBA and my Series 6 Watch.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 1:31 PM in response to mdmsstone

See this support document for the steps to activate that feature. Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I understand that you said it worked before, however during updates, things can get messed up for lack of a better word. Go into System Preferences, Security & Privacy. Uncheck the box to use the Apple Watch to unlock the Mac. Restart the Mac. Then go back into the same place and turn it back on again. After restarting, you will have to log in with your password, but after that, the Watch should unlock the Mac. I have to do that every once in a while with my 2019 MBA and my Series 6 Watch.

apple watch stopped unlocking MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.