Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spanish MacBook Pro keyboards

hello, I would like to know the difference between Spanish & Catalan keyboard and Spanish (Latin America) keyboard. Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 7:12 AM

Are you talking about hardware keyboards? If so, the Apple doc which describes these only has one for Spanish. See

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794

If you think there is more than one available someplace, please provide the url.

If you are talking about software keyboards, you can switch among those very easily on any Mac. I can post screenshots if you really need them.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 7:12 AM in response to sebastiánflores

Are you talking about hardware keyboards? If so, the Apple doc which describes these only has one for Spanish. See

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794

If you think there is more than one available someplace, please provide the url.

If you are talking about software keyboards, you can switch among those very easily on any Mac. I can post screenshots if you really need them.

Dec 14, 2020 8:33 AM in response to sebastiánflores

Thanks for the link. This is something new and Apple has not yet updated their keyboard layout info to include two Spanish options. I can't find any pictures of the new one, and can only make a guess based on the software keyboards provided by Apple.

I would guess that Spanish and Catalan is probably the same as the one shown in the link I gave you earlier. Its software layout is called "Spanish ISO".

I would guess that Latin American is probably the same as the software layout which Apple's calls "Latin American", shown below.

But until you can find pictures or someone who has seem them for real, these are just guesses.

Dec 14, 2020 8:43 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Catalan and Spanish are 2 different languages. The Catalan layout likely has keys for specific characters that exist in Catalan, but not in traditional Spanish from Spain which also differs slightly from the Latin American Spanish.

That's not to say you cannot change the software layout for it from one to the other, but just that some of the symbols printed on the physical keys may not match with what they type on screen when the software layout is changed.

If you need a Spanish keyboard don't choose Catalan. Choose Spain or Latin America

Dec 14, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

If you need a Spanish keyboard don't choose Catalan. Choose Spain or Latin America

Apple's Spanish keyboard for Europe is now called "Spanish & Catalan (Spain)", so it seems they intend it to cover both languages.

As far as I know, Catalan only has one letter, ç, not needed for Spanish, plus maybe the middle dot which can appear sometimes between two l´s .

Dec 14, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Actually its quite interesting that the Spanish & Catalan keyboard option only appears in non-Spain countries.

If you try to buy a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air in the store for Spain, it only shows Español, but no mention of Catalan.

The Spanish & Catalan option however appears in the Mexican and Latin American stores for some reason.

In practice you are correct, there should only be the ç key where the closing curly brace should be but unless the software layout is also set to Catalan, that key will only print the } on screen.

Dec 14, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

unless the software layout is also set to Catalan, that key will only print the } on screen.

Apple doesn't yet provide a Catalan software layout. The standard is Spanish ISO, which does print the ç. If you choose the Latin American software layout, then that key prints the curly brace.

It is indeed odd that the Spain store leaves off the word Catalan for the keyboard name. It has to be the same hardware.

Dec 14, 2020 11:22 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

Apple doesn't yet provide a Catalan software layout. The standard is
Spanish ISO, which does print the ç. If you choose the Latin American
software layout, then that key prints the curly brace.

They provide the Catalan layout for iPhone and iPad, strange they have not added it in for newer versions of macOS.

Tom Gewecke wrote:

It is indeed odd that the Spain store leaves off the word Catalan for the keyboard name. It has to be the same hardware.

One would assume.

Spanish MacBook Pro keyboards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.