Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to layer a vertical video over a widescreen photo. Please help :)

I am trying to edit a client's video and most of their clips are vertical. So I want to put a static image or clip behind them that fits the whole screen, so there's not black space on either side. I typically use Final Cut Pro and know how to do this, but they are trying to learn iMovie so I'm editing there so they can learn. I can not for the life of me figure it out! Thanks in advance for any help!

Mac mini, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 9:34 AM

Hi, Rachel,

Put a static background image into the timeline and adjust it's duration to fit the intended duration of the movie.  Place your vertical videos into the upper timeline above the static image.   With the first video, overlay it using the Picture in Picture feature of iMovie, adjusting its size and position to where you want it.   Click on the blue Reset button in the upper right edge of your project screen to apply the setting.   Then select the vertical overlaid clip in the timeline and do an Edit/Copy.    Then select all of the remaining vertical clips as a group (select the first one and then shift-click on the last one).  After selecting the range of vertical clips, do a File/Paste Adjustments/Video Overlay Settings.   That will paste all of the selected vertical clips onto the static background in the same size and exact position as the very first video that you overlaid. 

Since you are not totally familiar with iMovie, here's a link to a help menu that explains how to use the Picture in Picture feature:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 9:34 AM in response to RachelGambill

Hi, Rachel,

Put a static background image into the timeline and adjust it's duration to fit the intended duration of the movie.  Place your vertical videos into the upper timeline above the static image.   With the first video, overlay it using the Picture in Picture feature of iMovie, adjusting its size and position to where you want it.   Click on the blue Reset button in the upper right edge of your project screen to apply the setting.   Then select the vertical overlaid clip in the timeline and do an Edit/Copy.    Then select all of the remaining vertical clips as a group (select the first one and then shift-click on the last one).  After selecting the range of vertical clips, do a File/Paste Adjustments/Video Overlay Settings.   That will paste all of the selected vertical clips onto the static background in the same size and exact position as the very first video that you overlaid. 

Since you are not totally familiar with iMovie, here's a link to a help menu that explains how to use the Picture in Picture feature:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

-- Rich

how to layer a vertical video over a widescreen photo. Please help :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.