Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does ITunes backup your photos too?

Hello,

I did a backup of my iPhone 8 with iTunes, which is downloaded on my laptop. Does iTunes backup pictures too? Is it safe to delete my pictures from my phone?

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 6:55 AM

aurea23 wrote:

Hello,
I did a backup of my iPhone 8 with iTunes, which is downloaded on my laptop. Does iTunes backup pictures too?

Yes, unless perhaps you've enabled iCloud Photo Library. See About backups for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support for details.

Is it safe to delete my pictures from my phone?

No. iTunes normally maintains a single rolling backup of your device which can be used to restore the state of it when the backup was taken. If you delete pictures and backup again those images will no longer be in the backup. They're also not easily accessible from the backup data, it intended for restoring to a device and while it may be possible to extract files using third party software that isn't how it is designed to work.

See Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Import all your pictures from your device, and ideally back up that data, before you delete anything from the device. If you're using iCloud Photo Library deleting an image on one device can delete it everywhere else it appears, so again important to make secure copies first.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2020 6:55 AM in response to aurea23

aurea23 wrote:

Hello,
I did a backup of my iPhone 8 with iTunes, which is downloaded on my laptop. Does iTunes backup pictures too?

Yes, unless perhaps you've enabled iCloud Photo Library. See About backups for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support for details.

Is it safe to delete my pictures from my phone?

No. iTunes normally maintains a single rolling backup of your device which can be used to restore the state of it when the backup was taken. If you delete pictures and backup again those images will no longer be in the backup. They're also not easily accessible from the backup data, it intended for restoring to a device and while it may be possible to extract files using third party software that isn't how it is designed to work.

See Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Import all your pictures from your device, and ideally back up that data, before you delete anything from the device. If you're using iCloud Photo Library deleting an image on one device can delete it everywhere else it appears, so again important to make secure copies first.

tt2

Does ITunes backup your photos too?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.