Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset MacBook Air M1 to factory settings for return?

I've decided to return my new Macbook Air M1 as it just isn't compatible with the applications I need to run on it.

Therefore, I need to reset the laptop to factory settings and remove all my data etc.

One problem: I have absolutely no idea how.

I have searched for info on this, but most of it is for devices with Intel, or older models; nothing about the M1 chip. I've tried doing the thing where you shut down and restart, holding down OPTION + COMMAND + P + R, but doesn't work...

Any help appreciated! I've booked a collection already so really need to get it sorted!

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 2:57 AM

Hi,

To factory reset your m1 Macbook Air, shut down your Mac and press the power button to turn on your MacBook, when you see the Apple logo, press and hold the power button and wait till the options appear, and then click on it and erase your disk in the disk utility, after erasing, reinstall Mac Os big sur and you are done after that.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 2:57 AM in response to imdxo

Hi,

To factory reset your m1 Macbook Air, shut down your Mac and press the power button to turn on your MacBook, when you see the Apple logo, press and hold the power button and wait till the options appear, and then click on it and erase your disk in the disk utility, after erasing, reinstall Mac Os big sur and you are done after that.

Jan 4, 2021 6:38 PM in response to Shadow walker 1

Shadow Walker 1: I have a question: My MacBook Air M1 came with High Sierra (just bought it five days ago), and the reason I want to reset to factory settings is because it was a mistake to upgrade to Big Sur 11.1 So, I don't want to return it, I want to go back to square 1. If I follow the steps you suggest, will it automatically reinstall High Sierra?

Jan 4, 2021 7:53 PM in response to Shadow walker 1

Yes, thanks. (1) Photos keeps playing hide and seek. (I do not use iCloud to store, I only use My Photo Stream). It was working beautifully - I would take a picture and it would show up as it also does on my 2013 MacBook Air running on El Capitan (a workhorse!). I've done everything there is to do with my accounts and checking and unchecking the right boxes and it won't work, and then all of a sudden it works with a few photos, and then stops syncing. Once it stops, those photos never sync. (2) Messages syncs sometimes... not others and not some numbers. At first I thought it was just the unknown callers, but no. (3) Even the screen saver is glitchy - I chose an option and all of the other options have disappeared, so I can't even choose a source for photos. I think my Finder has completely lost its mind.. it keeps showing up in different ways .. I can't set a view because it has decided for me.

These issues are showing up one by one; don't know what else I"m going to find...

Oh also - I didn't transfer anything over from my 2013 MacBook; I just decided to start fresh and I haven't uploaded any apps, so I don't think it's 3rd party software causing a problem. Thanks - probably more than you bargained for!

How to reset MacBook Air M1 to factory settings for return?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.