Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering permanently deleted files from iCloud

I permanently deleted all the desktop files from my old MacBook, today, not realizing this would also delete them from my new laptop due to the fact they are both synced to iCloud. i was able to recover one folder but not the others. How do I recover the others?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 11:08 PM in response to HarvestFlo

As you wrote - It seems to be everything from one folder that was on my desktop.

Was iCloud Drive and desktops documents turned as on https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchle5a61431/10.14/mac/10.14

The fourteen hundred files were saved in this folder or did you merged the second folder ?

Without seeing the screen shots can't predict , if files with folders are deleted to Mac trash and emptied the trash they will be immediately removed ( there is major difference between Mac trash and deleted files folders from iCloud Drive or iCloud.com ) .

If it was Mac trash , the folders with files are emptied immediately and can't be recovered .

Dec 16, 2020 4:04 AM in response to tygb

Thanks but that article is about restore previous versions of an open file. I need to restore the entire file. When I clicked the restore files link in iCloud, it gave me a list of ~1400 files I’d permanently deleted by accident. They included Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, JPEG and other file times. It seems to be everything from one folder that was on my desktop. That same restore feature doesn’t show the files from the other folders on the desktop, though. If it could find all the permanently deleted files from one desktop folder, it seems it should be able to find the others. That’s what I want help with.

Recovering permanently deleted files from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.