Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need Apple ID Verification Code every time I log in

On my MacBook Pro, whenever my Apple ID is required (managing my Apple ID online, signing into iCloud etc) I am asked to enter the six-digit Apple ID Verification Code. The code is generated on my iPhone as expected, and entering the code works normally. The problem is that a few months ago it started asking for a verification code every single time I log in on my MacBook Pro. Also odd is that BOTH the iPhone and the MacBook Pro receive the pop-up six-digit code, when obviously only the iPhone should receive it. I have tried signing out of all devices and signing back in but the problem remains.

Something similar is also happening when I sign into my bank account online. My online banking has ‘authorized computers’, and in the past my MacBook Pro was always authorized. But recently I have had to enter the extra security feature and select ‘authorize’ every time I log in.

I assume these things are related, and that there is someting preventing my computer from being trusted. Any suggestions appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 12:25 PM

Hi MacVal.

There are a few steps you can take which may help isolate what's going on here.

Start by going to System Preferences > Sharing. Is the computer name listed there what you expect to see or is it something generic? If you change the name there and reboot, does it resolve the sign-in issue?

If that is not effective try these steps:

1) Start by doing a safe boot of the Mac. This will clear some cache files, turn off some system extensions and log-in items and give you a good foundation. After doing the safe boot, reboot normally and test.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

2) If the issue persists after a safe boot, set up a new admin user account and boot into that for testing. Doing so helps you to isolate the issue to the system or the user data and ultimately resolve it. 

You can find the steps to add a user here:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 12:25 PM in response to MacVal

Hi MacVal.

There are a few steps you can take which may help isolate what's going on here.

Start by going to System Preferences > Sharing. Is the computer name listed there what you expect to see or is it something generic? If you change the name there and reboot, does it resolve the sign-in issue?

If that is not effective try these steps:

1) Start by doing a safe boot of the Mac. This will clear some cache files, turn off some system extensions and log-in items and give you a good foundation. After doing the safe boot, reboot normally and test.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

2) If the issue persists after a safe boot, set up a new admin user account and boot into that for testing. Doing so helps you to isolate the issue to the system or the user data and ultimately resolve it. 

You can find the steps to add a user here:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers.

Dec 20, 2020 5:38 PM in response to chuck_3rd

chuck_3rd wrote:

Yes, the computer name was as expected, however, I changed it anyway and rebooted.

I then launched iTunes, went to 'View my account' and logged in that way, and as expected the first time around it asked for the six-digit Apple ID Verification Code. But after that it no longer asked for verification. I also tested signing into iCloud via Safari, and that works too, I'm no longer needing to verify. 

Also tried signing into my bank. The 1st time I needed to authorize the computer, but the 2nd time all was well, no more having to authorize every time.

So it appears the issue is solved... thank-you! For my own knowledge though I have a follow-up question if you don't mind. Given that my computer name was as I expected, I'm just wondering why changing it would solve the issue.

need Apple ID Verification Code every time I log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.