Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iMovie keeps quitting when I want to import a video file

whenever I try to import a video into iMovie in my Catalina

it instantly quits

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 2:02 AM

This may not cure it but it's something you should always try. . . .

If  iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 2:02 AM in response to cooper1441

This may not cure it but it's something you should always try. . . .

If  iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

my iMovie keeps quitting when I want to import a video file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.