Related Article: Connect and use your AirPods Max

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off AirPods Max

If I don't want to use the AirPods Max case and how do I turn it off to save some battery while I'm not using it?

Because I have an another hard case from previous headphone which gives more protection and fits inside while travelling. But I don't want to drain the battery. Is there any Physical button combination to turn it off?

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 9:24 AM

Thanks @Trish313 Mm, my guess was right then. I understand why Apple chose this direction as it needs to work with Auto device switching features and "Find my" app to track when you lose it. But this is not a power efficient way when Apple says Smart case is not mandatory, especially when you are travelling without Apple's smart case.

Not having a OFF button was never a user problem for normal AirPods and AirPods Pro. Because the charging case was the smartest solution they built and it always charge and give extra juice we want and even while using pods, we can charge the case. So basically there was never a time I need to compromise listening for charging.

But in the case of AirPods Max, the Apple itself is saying case is not a necessary thing to carry around and this "Stationary" logic was not good for "Power concerned user". I won't be this much power concerned if SmartCase was charging the AirPods Max like other AirPods.

Let's hope will bring some settings to iOS to set time or some update to Max firmware with a button combination to force turn off.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Trish313

Thanks @Trish313 Mm, my guess was right then. I understand why Apple chose this direction as it needs to work with Auto device switching features and "Find my" app to track when you lose it. But this is not a power efficient way when Apple says Smart case is not mandatory, especially when you are travelling without Apple's smart case.

Not having a OFF button was never a user problem for normal AirPods and AirPods Pro. Because the charging case was the smartest solution they built and it always charge and give extra juice we want and even while using pods, we can charge the case. So basically there was never a time I need to compromise listening for charging.

But in the case of AirPods Max, the Apple itself is saying case is not a necessary thing to carry around and this "Stationary" logic was not good for "Power concerned user". I won't be this much power concerned if SmartCase was charging the AirPods Max like other AirPods.

Let's hope will bring some settings to iOS to set time or some update to Max firmware with a button combination to force turn off.

Dec 20, 2020 7:07 AM in response to alensunny

Hi Alensunny,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. Sounds like you'd like to use your AirPods Max with a different case and are looking for information on how to turn them off. The AirPods Max do not have a way to completely turn them off. They require their Smart case in order to go into a low power mode to preserve battery charge.

Check out How to charge your AirPods Max and learn about battery life.

Connect and use your AirPods Max

Hope that helps!

Dec 24, 2020 8:09 AM in response to alensunny

Alensunny,

Great question! Stationary meaning set down and not in use. So if they are set down and not being used for 5 minutes or more, they will go into low power mode. Also, if they are left stationary and out of the Smart Case for more than 72 hours, bluetooth and Find my are both disabled to preserve battery life.

Take Care!

Dec 20, 2020 7:46 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks @Joseph_S for the reply.

As per apple webpage, it says "If you set your AirPods Max down and leave them stationary for 5 minutes, they go into a low power mode to preserve battery charge."

Does anyone know what exactly they mean by "stationary"? Does it goes to low power mode if I don't use the Apple's Smart case and will be moving around with an another hard case from previous headphones?

Turning off AirPods Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.