Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App will neither quit nor force quit

I tried opening an image using preview a few days ago but it didn't open and since then I can't get preview to quit or force quit. I tried restarting and shutting down but in order for that to work preview needs to quit and it doesn't. Could anyone suggest anything that I could do?

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 4:58 AM

Have you tried the brute force shutdown? Press and hold the power button (probably about 5 seconds) is usually effective. If you are successful you should get the Apple Logo as the first screen of reboot.

If the problem comes back try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can clear it from there. Hold the Shift key while restarting to get Safe Mode

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 4:58 AM in response to user_idk1234

Have you tried the brute force shutdown? Press and hold the power button (probably about 5 seconds) is usually effective. If you are successful you should get the Apple Logo as the first screen of reboot.

If the problem comes back try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can clear it from there. Hold the Shift key while restarting to get Safe Mode

App will neither quit nor force quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.