Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

big sur 11.1 update fails

My late 2013 Macbook Pro has Mac OS 11.0.1 installed. I am getting a system message to update to Big Sur 11.1. I've tried updating twice. Both times I briefly see black screen with a message saying the computer restarted due to an error. I still see the Apple logo and progress bar after that. When I log in, I get a prompt to enter the email and password for my cloud account. After that, once I'm fulling logged in, I find a system crash dialog with the option to send the report to Apple.

The system thinks it still needs to update to 11.1, and says it will try automatically. What should I do? How do I get out of this cycle?

thanks for your help

Cynthia

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 7:42 AM

I’ve tried to download Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 onto my Mac and each time I get the message that the download has failed and I am advised to check my internet connection and try again. This has happened three times now. My internet connection is sound as I am able to connect all my other devises. Any suggestions?

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 7:42 AM in response to ctoryu

I’ve tried to download Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 onto my Mac and each time I get the message that the download has failed and I am advised to check my internet connection and try again. This has happened three times now. My internet connection is sound as I am able to connect all my other devises. Any suggestions?

Dec 29, 2020 1:56 PM in response to ctoryu

I was able to successfully update to 11.1 from Safe mode. Thank you for the instructions for restarting in Safe Mode.

Note: I tried to update from a wired connection instead of wireless since someone else mentioned wireless was a problem. However, when I tried this, I discovered that my Thunderbolt Ethernet was showing as not connected. To fix this problem, after I updated to 11.1, I created a new Location in Network in System Preferences and deleted the others. It seems to be working fine now.

big sur 11.1 update fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.