Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Big Sur Password Issues

Hi, I can't use my password to unlock the advanced configurations options that System Preferences offers for Features like Users and Groups, Security and Privacy, etc. I am referring to the little padlock icon that appears at the bottom of the System Preferences Panes. Is this another bug or do I have to change the preferences somewhere else.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 12:24 PM

My symptom was bewildering like yours: I could login as an administrator but that same password was rejected by the system preference panel's padlock's password screen when I clicked on any padlock to make changes. And of course the default user name was the correct admin user name.

I solved my problem by resetting the SMC on a MacBook Air. For this computer, SMC reset involves:

shutting down computer

unplugging power source

holding down Shift + Control + Option and then pressing power button for 10 seconds.

When my MacBook Air rebooted, I could login and then my admin password worked on the padlocks on all preferences panels that needed one.

All the best,

Red Head

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 12:24 PM in response to emerbran88

My symptom was bewildering like yours: I could login as an administrator but that same password was rejected by the system preference panel's padlock's password screen when I clicked on any padlock to make changes. And of course the default user name was the correct admin user name.

I solved my problem by resetting the SMC on a MacBook Air. For this computer, SMC reset involves:

shutting down computer

unplugging power source

holding down Shift + Control + Option and then pressing power button for 10 seconds.

When my MacBook Air rebooted, I could login and then my admin password worked on the padlocks on all preferences panels that needed one.

All the best,

Red Head

Mac OS Big Sur Password Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.