Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I control a Mac running 10.6.8 at one location from a mac running 10.10 at another?

I have a Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.8 that I need to control from another location. Don't laugh but it can't be updated due to Rosetta requirement of a several very expensive applications! A Rosetta emulator that runs on 10.10-12 would be nice but there is none that I know of that would make the legacy software run. LogMeIn might work with the legacy version but that is not an option since they tripled the price.

Is Apple Remote Access or something similar still around? The free version of Team Viewer might run on the 10.10 imac at the same location I need to access but will not run on the 10.6.8 mac pro. Could the imac 10.10 control the Mac Pro 10.6.8 on the same LAN and then I remotely control the iMac 10.10 from a Windows 7 PC or a Mac running 10.10 from my location?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 3:43 PM

I would say yes based on the information you’ve given.

However there are a few things you should be aware of first.

(A) You must have a good working knowledge of private networks (LANs) and public networks (WANs), differences between fixed and dynamically assigned IP addresses, firewalls and probably VPNs depending on how secure you want non-local remote connections to be.

(B) VNC (aka Apple Remote Desktop) is built into every Mac (it’s part of the OS) so you won’t need anything ‘extra’ such as LogMeIn or TeamViewer. Mac to Mac it should work fine as long as the requirements in (A) are met by you or someone you know.

(C) PC to Mac is also possible with, usually free, software such as TightVNC or RealVNC. Neither will work until you enable certain settings on the Mac first.

If you’ve a Mac handy, does not matter which OS version as it will be the same in all of them, explore the options in System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Management. They should start giving you an idea of how to achieve what you want. Then move onto exploring your router’s GUI and it’s Advanced Settings. Specifically the Port Forwarding section. Depending on which router you have this may not be that obvious as most, if not all, routers supplied for residential broadband users have a section usually labelled ‘Games’. This is where the port forwarding rules will be.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 3:43 PM in response to MikezZ1

I would say yes based on the information you’ve given.

However there are a few things you should be aware of first.

(A) You must have a good working knowledge of private networks (LANs) and public networks (WANs), differences between fixed and dynamically assigned IP addresses, firewalls and probably VPNs depending on how secure you want non-local remote connections to be.

(B) VNC (aka Apple Remote Desktop) is built into every Mac (it’s part of the OS) so you won’t need anything ‘extra’ such as LogMeIn or TeamViewer. Mac to Mac it should work fine as long as the requirements in (A) are met by you or someone you know.

(C) PC to Mac is also possible with, usually free, software such as TightVNC or RealVNC. Neither will work until you enable certain settings on the Mac first.

If you’ve a Mac handy, does not matter which OS version as it will be the same in all of them, explore the options in System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Management. They should start giving you an idea of how to achieve what you want. Then move onto exploring your router’s GUI and it’s Advanced Settings. Specifically the Port Forwarding section. Depending on which router you have this may not be that obvious as most, if not all, routers supplied for residential broadband users have a section usually labelled ‘Games’. This is where the port forwarding rules will be.

Can I control a Mac running 10.6.8 at one location from a mac running 10.10 at another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.