Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I erase all content and settings on my iPhone, will I still be able to receive iMessages from my iPad?

My iPad iMessage is signed in with my iCloud and phone number. If I reset my phone, can I still receive iMessages from my phone number on my iPad?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 3:27 PM

Hi ariesroses,

Thanks for coming out through Apple Support Communities for help with iMessages on your iPad. We're glad to answer this for you!

When erasing all content and settings from iPhone, you'll be prompted to enter your Apple ID password to sign out of iCloud and Apple services. Doing so may unlink your phone number from iMessages and FaceTime, so that Text Message Forwarding to other devices like your iPad is no longer supported.

This means that while you may continue using iMessages and FaceTime on iPad to connect with other users with Apple devices, iMessages and FaceTime may originate from your Apple ID, and not your phone number. Text messages send to your phone number will no longer be forwarded to Messages in iPad.

The following guide has more information:

Set up Messages on iPad

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 3:27 PM in response to ariesroses

Hi ariesroses,

Thanks for coming out through Apple Support Communities for help with iMessages on your iPad. We're glad to answer this for you!

When erasing all content and settings from iPhone, you'll be prompted to enter your Apple ID password to sign out of iCloud and Apple services. Doing so may unlink your phone number from iMessages and FaceTime, so that Text Message Forwarding to other devices like your iPad is no longer supported.

This means that while you may continue using iMessages and FaceTime on iPad to connect with other users with Apple devices, iMessages and FaceTime may originate from your Apple ID, and not your phone number. Text messages send to your phone number will no longer be forwarded to Messages in iPad.

The following guide has more information:

Set up Messages on iPad

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

If I erase all content and settings on my iPhone, will I still be able to receive iMessages from my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.