Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reduce cycle counts on my MacBook Air 2020?

I got the new MacBook Air 2020 17 days ago and my cycle count is at 9. I’ve seen people saying they only use 1 cycle count a week. Is mine high? How can I reduce my cycle counts? Also, can I leave it plugged in 24/7? Sorry if I sound paranoid, this is my first laptop and I want to make use of it the best way possible :]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 7:24 AM

If you use your computer on battery until you get the warning that it needs to be recharged and recharge it the computer will record that as a cycle. Partial cycles are also counted, so if you use 1/2 the battery and recharge it, that will be recorded as a 1/2 cycle even though the report doesn’t show partial cycles.

If you need to use the computer away from an electrical outlet, do so. Presumably that’s why you bought the MBA and not a desktop. If an outlet is conveniently nearby, plug it in. Don’t worry about cycles. Use the computer.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 7:24 AM in response to su-ri

If you use your computer on battery until you get the warning that it needs to be recharged and recharge it the computer will record that as a cycle. Partial cycles are also counted, so if you use 1/2 the battery and recharge it, that will be recorded as a 1/2 cycle even though the report doesn’t show partial cycles.

If you need to use the computer away from an electrical outlet, do so. Presumably that’s why you bought the MBA and not a desktop. If an outlet is conveniently nearby, plug it in. Don’t worry about cycles. Use the computer.

Dec 17, 2020 9:03 AM in response to su-ri

Also, can I leave it plugged in 24/7?

Yes.

Basically do what dwb recommended. And although it's the furthest thing from the scientific method, it has been my experience that users who pay the least attention to how they use their Macs derive the greatest battery life from them. Seriously. Just use it. Apple obsessed about such minutia so you don't have to.

How can I reduce cycle counts on my MacBook Air 2020?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.