Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

android two factor authorization

Is there any way to receive Apple ID verification codes on my Android phone instead of my iPad?

UN5305,

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 7:18 AM

Yes, if you set the Android’s telephone number up as another trusted SMS/Voice number for your AppleID.

SMS or automated voice codes are sent via a less secure method than encrypted iCloud notifications on an Apple device though.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Trusted phone numbers

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.”

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 7:18 AM in response to leaffan14

Yes, if you set the Android’s telephone number up as another trusted SMS/Voice number for your AppleID.

SMS or automated voice codes are sent via a less secure method than encrypted iCloud notifications on an Apple device though.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Trusted phone numbers

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.”

Dec 17, 2020 7:32 AM in response to leaffan14

I just read the info on the link you sent ( Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support ) and I found this:

What if I can't access a trusted device or didn't receive a verification code?

If you're signing in and don’t have a trusted device handy that can display verification codes, you can have a code sent to your trusted phone number via text message or an automated phone call instead. Click Didn't Get a Code on the sign in screen and choose to send a code to your trusted phone number. You can also get a code directly from Settings on a trusted device.

I was hoping that getting a verification code to my phone would not be a multistep process. I wish it would directly send the code to my phone.

Dec 17, 2020 9:27 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric, I have figured it out. The prompt "What if I can't access a trusted device or didn't receive a verification code?" is a little misleading as I do receive the verification code, but at times my iPad is not handy. So I never clicked on the "didn't receive code" prompt, which then allows me to receive a code to my trusted Android phone. I has hoping to find a way to have to code sent directly to the phone instead of the iPad. Thanks.

Dec 17, 2020 9:51 AM in response to leaffan14

It will never go directly to a phone other than an iPhone. The reason is Apple deliberately is not using SMS texts as a default method for delivery codes as it is not very secure. Instead, the default method for codes is via Apple’s own iCloud system using encrypted notifications. A non iPhone SMS/Voice number is available only as a backup method when you don’t have access to an Apple trusted device signed into your iCloud account.

android two factor authorization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.