Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot get my iPad to update

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 4:58 PM

You provide no details of your iPad model - or the currently installed version of iOS/iPadOS. This information can be found here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Whether you are able to update your iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by your iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 14.3.

Available methods by which you can update your iPad are described here:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of update, but you are experiencing difficulties, these support pages may be helpful with troubleshooting the issue:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

If you need more space for an update - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 4:58 PM in response to Girl3boy2

You provide no details of your iPad model - or the currently installed version of iOS/iPadOS. This information can be found here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Whether you are able to update your iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by your iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 14.3.

Available methods by which you can update your iPad are described here:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of update, but you are experiencing difficulties, these support pages may be helpful with troubleshooting the issue:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

If you need more space for an update - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.