Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16-inch with MacOS 11.1 unable to detect display correctly and set screen resolution

Since updating the MacBook pro from MacOS 11.01 to MacOS 11.1, MacBook Pro 16-inch (2019) is not able to correctly detect the LG 43UN700-B 4K Monitor. When attached the screen resolution on the external display scales down to 1080p or 720p or 1280p randomly on each attempt to connect the display. The display connected via USB C cable. Everything seemed to work well before. Even tried resetting the NVRAM / PRAM and SMC. Nothing seems to work.

Any similar occurrences? Appreciate your support.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 9:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 2:25 AM

It seems this has a workaround. You can go to the On-Screen Controls on the Monitor and downgrade the DisplayPort version to 1.2; once you do that you'll be able to get up to 4K with 60Hz refresh rate. Only the display will not be correctly identified, but it works just fine.

I found this workaround from other thread in Apple Discussions (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252174979?answerId=254142480022#254142480022).

Hope they (Apple) resolve this issue soon!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 2:25 AM in response to water_vapor

It seems this has a workaround. You can go to the On-Screen Controls on the Monitor and downgrade the DisplayPort version to 1.2; once you do that you'll be able to get up to 4K with 60Hz refresh rate. Only the display will not be correctly identified, but it works just fine.

I found this workaround from other thread in Apple Discussions (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252174979?answerId=254142480022#254142480022).

Hope they (Apple) resolve this issue soon!

Dec 19, 2020 1:44 AM in response to hari_ls

I have exactly the same setup. The monitor no longer works at USB-C or DisplayPort; all downstream USB ports stopped working too. You can use the HDMI ports to get 4K@30Hz if you can tolerate the low refresh rate (with USB-C you can also get 4K@30Hz but with very low probability). I have made a TM backup and downgraded to 10.15.7 (data recovered using migrate assistant), most softwares worked fine, though I had to refresh some binaries from Homebrew. Downgrading to 11.0.1 seems to be very hard: it is impossible to download the installer from official sources, and the installers (both 20B29 and 20B50) I found with correct shasums never worked (strange errors when creating install media, installer app won't open).

I've tried examining/overriding the EDID, changing settings with SwitchResX, connecting to HDMI and then USB-C (suggested by other posts), but none of them worked.

MacBook Pro 16-inch with MacOS 11.1 unable to detect display correctly and set screen resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.