Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set axis break in numbers

I have my bar chart below, but the first series is way far away from the other series and dominates the chart, my problem is how to add an axis break at 5k and jump to 14k.

Could u address this, thx

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 12:28 PM

Tried to post this earlier. It spun for a long while. Trying again...

There is no built-in way to do it. A workaround would be this:

1. Create a chart (which you already did)
  2. Copy/Paste it to create a copy of it
  3. On the first one, set the X axis min to 0 and max to 5K and set the number of steps to an appropriate number.
  4. On the second one, set the X axis min to 12K and max to 14K and set the steps so the distance (numerically) between gridlines is the same as the first chart.
  5. Remove some of the features of the second chart, such as the Y axis line, legend, and such.
  6. Move the second chart below/overlapping the first and adjust its horizontal size to make the grid lines be the same distance apart (physically) as the first one.
  7. Line the second one up with the first so it looks like one chart.
  8. Maybe do something to highlight the missing area (which I did not do in the screenshot below)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 12:28 PM in response to Jiahao-Chen

Tried to post this earlier. It spun for a long while. Trying again...

There is no built-in way to do it. A workaround would be this:

1. Create a chart (which you already did)
  2. Copy/Paste it to create a copy of it
  3. On the first one, set the X axis min to 0 and max to 5K and set the number of steps to an appropriate number.
  4. On the second one, set the X axis min to 12K and max to 14K and set the steps so the distance (numerically) between gridlines is the same as the first chart.
  5. Remove some of the features of the second chart, such as the Y axis line, legend, and such.
  6. Move the second chart below/overlapping the first and adjust its horizontal size to make the grid lines be the same distance apart (physically) as the first one.
  7. Line the second one up with the first so it looks like one chart.
  8. Maybe do something to highlight the missing area (which I did not do in the screenshot below)

How to set axis break in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.