Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iTunes, what does "organize library" and "consolidate" do?"

Recently I had to reformat and reinstall my Mac OS. (10.11.6. El Capitan -- the highest my mid 2007 machine will tolerate). On my old setup, over a matter of 13 years, my music files became scattered and embedded throughout the system. What I want to do is get and keep my iTunes music and library cleaned up and in one location. In doing so, I'd like to know exactly what "organize library" & "consolidate" does. I thought I knew this at one time. But, I've had several "Senior Moments" since. Now, due to COVID-19 constrained isolation, I seem to have time to putz around with my older, faithful MAC, which will need replacing sooner than later.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 4:05 PM

Consolidate finds any files that are in the library but not in your currently designated Media folder, and puts a copy there. It is a good thing to do before you change computers. (Alas, it does not find files that are not in the library at all.) Info about Consolidate is a section of this document:

Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 4:05 PM in response to Jon Markle

Consolidate finds any files that are in the library but not in your currently designated Media folder, and puts a copy there. It is a good thing to do before you change computers. (Alas, it does not find files that are not in the library at all.) Info about Consolidate is a section of this document:

Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

In iTunes, what does "organize library" and "consolidate" do?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.