Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Max Comfort?

I am finding two discomfort issues with my AirPods Max

• the earpiece clamping pressure seems very high, and at times, uncomfortable
  • I constantly feel the bars of the headpiece, as if they are digging in to my head. I have the units extended as big as possible. I was expecting the headpiece mesh would distribute the pressure and I wouldn’t even feel the outer bars. When I try to adjust the earpieces to relieve the headpiece pressure, the headphones slid back down because of their weight

I have long used Bose and Sony noise-cancelling headphone and have never experienced anything close to this level of discomfort. Sometimes after wearing the AirPods Max, I get a headache, perhaps from reducing blood flow in my skull.

The sound quality of these is excellent, but I worry about the discomfort. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 8:04 AM

I am experiencing discomfort as well. For me, it is pressure on my temples from the ear cups. It has not yet given me a headache, but it feels close to it.

I own the Bose NC 700 and wear them all day while sitting on my computer, and I've never had any discomfort whatsoever. With the Airpods Max, it was immediate as soon as I put them on after opening the box.

The bars are not noticeable for me, but I have a lot of hair, so maybe that adds some cushion.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2020 8:04 AM in response to tecsi12

I am experiencing discomfort as well. For me, it is pressure on my temples from the ear cups. It has not yet given me a headache, but it feels close to it.

I own the Bose NC 700 and wear them all day while sitting on my computer, and I've never had any discomfort whatsoever. With the Airpods Max, it was immediate as soon as I put them on after opening the box.

The bars are not noticeable for me, but I have a lot of hair, so maybe that adds some cushion.

Feb 5, 2021 3:11 PM in response to tecsi12

I just got a pair two days ago, and I'm experiencing discomfort around my ears, especially behind my ears and below my earlobes. I too get headaches from wearing these. Plus the way they shift when you ever so slightly move your head is really beginning to bug me.

I already scheduled an appointment tomorrow at the Apple Store to return these. A shame really, because they do sound great and the feature set they have are quite impressive. But these are so uncomfortable for me, that no matter how much I try to justify these headphones, the pain around my ears and the headaches beg to differ.

Apple, please make a lighter pair of these that don't clamp so hard on your head. If you do, I'll buy them Day 1.

Mar 30, 2021 11:20 AM in response to russnem

I had the headache problem with the Max on pair one. Returned them, I missed the quality of Max so much, I thought I would have to give them another try. Again, the headaches returned, crazy... never experienced this with any other cans. As much as I hate to do this, I will have to return them again. Just hope Apple comes out with a little lighter, less pressured pair, with the same incredible quality of sound. I also have a pair of Sennheiser D600 with Dragonfly DAC. Sounds as good as the Max, but corded and bulky, plus no noise suppression. Come on Apple, I know you can do this with Max 2.0. Please, I'll will be waiting, and don't take too long, I am an old man that loves music, but not a whole lot of time left! LOL

Dec 22, 2020 6:48 AM in response to tecsi12

I've noticed I get a pretty bad headache after having these on for more than an hour or two. Even with ANC off, after a bit of time, I have to take them off, and have a lingering headache for the next couple of hours. Pretty disappointing, and I love everything else about these...but I'm not sure I'm going to keep them if this keeps up... (Haven't had issues with the bars on the headband digging into my head, though...)

Jan 29, 2021 6:32 AM in response to tecsi12

I have exactly the same two issues described in the original post (clamping pressure + weight).

I have short hair, but quite a big head, so maybe this makes those issues worse.

I love everything else about the Airpods Max, but I promise I feel real discomfort after wearing them for 20-30 min.

And if I keep wearing them the discomfort becomes pain.

Mar 22, 2021 3:17 PM in response to tecsi12

AirPod Max. Best wireless cans ever. Even say it is worth the price, but not the headaches. Had to return them after two times suffering severe headaches. Seldom get headaches but these were real. Perhaps since I wear glasses the extra pressure on the frames were contributing to the headaches.

The quality built and sound performance is second to none, but Houston I think we may have a problem, or is it Cupertino. I truly love you guys. Been with you since the first 500 song IPod. Sound engineers five stars, design engineers need to talk with the comfort guys and gals.

Apr 29, 2021 1:25 AM in response to tecsi12

As hard as I try to love them, I hate them because they give a lot of pain around temples and behind my ears.

I've never ever had such uncomfortable headphone. Seems at Apple nobody used them during development or how comes they not experience this issue?

I also have the Bose QC20 and Bose 700 and can wear them all day. But I can't wear the Airpods Max for anything more than 10 minutes. Considering the price, this is a huge disappointment.

I also fee they are ways too heavy. Sometimes maybe, just sometimes, Apple should put comfort over aesthetics.

Jan 12, 2021 10:29 AM in response to tecsi12

I'm on day 2 of extended wear/usage on my AirPod Max. I love the sound quality, ease of use, noise cancelling, etc... Wearing headphones throughout the day is a requirement based on a noisy home/work environment.

End of day 1 (8+ hours), I experienced both a headache and soreness around back of my ears and temple based on the pressure of the ear cups on the side of my head. I read something somewhere about ANC causing initial problems then going away but I'm not sure how that would contribute to a headache.

Today, day 2, I'm halfway through the day and have already had to remove them twice to relieve the pressure of the ear cups on the side of the head and behind the ears. The headache is slowly beginning to come back. It seems like a combination of the weight and the pressure is contributing to long-term wearing discomfort. Will give it a few more days to see if this is a breaking them in issue or not.

Dec 21, 2020 12:02 PM in response to tecsi12

Hello tecsi12,

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities. We know it's important to have your AirPods Max fitting correctly so you can wear them without any issues. We'll be glad to assist.

For help with the fit of your AirPods Max, check out the guidance here: Wearing your AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, EarPods, or Beats devices

If you need more help, please reach out to us directly: Get Support

Best regards!

Mar 2, 2021 5:48 AM in response to tecsi12

The clamping force is just too much, it gives me horrible headaches after 1 hour use. I have used, Bose, B&O, Sony, Harman Kardon, all sort of this type of over ear noise cancelling headphones... DISAPPOINTING.... sound quality is amazing but if you cant use them for an extended period of time like I do, then better I keep using the Bose 700.

Hope apple is reading this and learn for 2nd generation..

In the meantime I have the headphones stacked in a good stack of old books and see if the clamp force reduces...

AirPods Max Comfort?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.